Those who know me know that I am loving the reemergence of the 1980's. I also blogged the other day about how I wish I could be Joan Collins and/or live my life as though I was a character from Dynasty. I went to the Goodwill about a month ago or so and found a 1980's McCall's pattern. It is an amazing pattern. So I went to the fabric store and found some fabric and behold:
The fabric ended up looking awesome, especially with the pockets turned on the bias, but it was really hard to work with. It was like 60% poly, 5% spandex and the rest cotton. It frayed easily and did not keep a crisp line. I did learn a few things!
1. Collars are not that hard. I think I have got it down.
2. Following the directions makes things SO much easier!!
3. Hemming: Since the fabric would not retain a nice clean line, I decided to do a running stitch on the seam allowance, which in this case was 5/8". Then I went back and ironed the seam allowance then folded the unfinished edge into the folded seam. Then I finished the hem. EASY! I am sure I am not the first person to come up with such a trick, but I thought it was a brilliant idea! And it worked beautifully.
4. My chalk pencil is the ballz.
5. I need to take better measurements because for me, my measurements are always changing. I ended up having to take in the sides and sleeves another 1.5", but even so, it is still a little big.
Yay for vintage patterns!!!